3 Pump Court

Temple, London EC4Y 7AJ

Tel. 020 7353 0711



5 Temple Chambers

Temple St, Swindon SN1 1NQ

Tel. 01793 539899


31 Southgate Street,

Winchester, SO23 9EB

Tel. 01962 868161

Tel.  0207 3530711

Email: [email protected]




You can get a divorce if you have been married at least a year and your relationship has permanently broken down.


You must have a marriage that is legally recognised in the UK, and have a permanent home in England or Wales.


There are 3 main steps to getting divorced:


File a divorce petition -

you have to apply to the court for permission to divorce, and show reasons why you want the marriage to end.


Apply for a decree nisi -

if your spouse agrees to the petition, you’ll get a document saying there’s no reason you can’t divorce.


Apply for a decree absolute -

this legally ends your marriage - you need to wait 6 weeks after you get the decree nisi before you can apply.


I am often instructed on matters involving disputes within the divorce process, although not common, a contested divorce hearing may be required or where there are serious issues raised the Queen's Proctor may be involved in making enquiries as to the marriage or divorce.